Dutch writer - Founder of Lefuturewave - Music enthusiast
It’s officially Christmas Eve and you know what that means – time to rock out to some festive tunes! Everyone’s got their go-to favorite, but one song that almost always tops the list is Mariah Carey’s classic All I Want for Christmas Is You.
This song has been a staple during the Christmas season for over two decades, and it’s understandable why. It’s catchy, it’s upbeat, and it really brings out the Christmas spirit. But how much do you really know about All I Want for Christmas Is You? Here are some fun facts:
- The song was originally released in 1994
- The song has been covered by many notable artists including Justin Bieber and Michael Bublé
- In 15 minutes, Mariah and Walter Afanasieff wrote and composed the song
- Mariah celebrated the 25th anniversary of the song with a mini tour
- The song has broken three Guinness World Records – the highest-charting holiday song of all time, most weeks spent in the U.K.’s Top 10 chart, and the most streams on Spotify in 24 hours
- The music video for the song was shot to look like a home movie.
- In December 2006, the song made history as it became the first ringtone to be RIAA Gold certified for selling over a half million copies. The following year, its success skyrocketed, being awarded Platinum certification for 1 million sales and Double Platinum for 2 million in 2009.
Now that you’ve learned more about All I Want for Christmas Is You, it will be even more fun to sing along with Mariah. Merry Christmas!